Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Puliyodarai

One of my treasured recipe...

Ingredients

Gingely oil - 2tbsp
Tmaraind paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
Peanuts - 20 (skinned and dry roasted)
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Channa dal - 2tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Whole red chillies - 5
Vellam/Jaggaery - 2tsp
Perungayam/Asafoedita - 1/4 tsp
Salt - as needed


Dry roast and powder

Red chillies - 15
Vendhayam/Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp
Sesame seeds - 2tsp
Curry leaves - 5


Method

Mix tamarind paste in 1 cup of water.Dry roast and powder the ingredients listed under.In apn, heat gingely oil and fry mustard seeds,urad dal,channa dal,red chillies.Now add red chilli powder,turmeric powder,asafoedita,powdered mixture,salt and tamarind.Let it boil until the oil separates.Now add jaggery and roasted peanuts to this and keep it heat for 2 minutes.Now switch off the heat.You can store this mix in the refrigetor for weeks.Take required amount of puliyodarai mix to make puliyodarai.







Thanks Sangeeth,Padma and Illatharasi and Suheefor these lovely awards.Really appreciate it!








13 comments:

Illatharasi said...

I too treasure this;) my all time favourite:)

Ramya Bala said...

Its puliyodarai recipe going on in all the blogs i see,n tempting me...pics looks so gd n must taste yummy too...

Unknown said...

Ultimate comfort food!

kamala said...

I can eat this at any time..Btw How much is the tamarind paste .Is it 1 1/2 tblsp?

Srivalli said...

yummy yummy!..I love pulihora anytime fo the day!..yours looking great in that plate!

Anonymous said...

This looks great and congrats on all the awards!

Medhaa said...

Hi Maheshwari, I love Puliyodarai and plan to make this. Could you please tell me if Gingely oil is Seasame oil and is there a substitue or some way to infuse seasame in the oil at home. Can I use olive oil?

Unknown said...

Kamala, it is tbsp..thanks for correcting me!

delhibelle said...

I have been wanting to try puliyodarai, and this looks perfect. Thanks for sharing your treasured recipe:)

Indian Khana said...

It's Puliyodarai running everywhere now :)...your version looking gud and nice colour....I love this for lunch box :)

@the_whisk_affair said...

looove puliyodarai!!

theres something for u on my blog!!

Sum Raj said...

i lov this rice ...luv tangyn taste of tamarind...urs has come out too gud and great entry..

Suganya said...

This is a all time favorite for all south Indians. Look so good. YUM! So mouth watering...