Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kerala Style Egg Curry w/ Coconut milk


Kerala style egg curry made with coconut milk , one of the staple @ my kitchen when I crave for something simple  and comfort.I tend to make these little spicer and it compliments the sweetness of the coconut milk.This is an adapted version Mrs.K.M.Mathew's recipe.


What you will need
Hard boiled eggs- 6 nos
 
Onion -3 medium sized (sliced)
 
Ginger -  2 tsp (chopped fine)
 
Garlic - 2 tsp (chopped fine)
Green Chillies  - 2 (slit lengthwise)
Curry leaves- a few
 
Coconut milk- I used 1/4 cup of a canned coconut milk
( I had diluted 1/4 cup of coconut milk with 1cup water)
Water-1/4 cup 
Oil -2 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
For masala


Red chili powder-  2 tsp( or according to taste)
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp

How you will make 

Mix all the ingredients for masala with just enough water to make a smooth paste.Keep aside.Make small slits in the hard boiled eggs and sprinkle pinches of red chilli powder,turmeric powder and salt.Using your hands apply these powders evenly on the eggs.In a pan, heat oil on medium low heat.Keeping the heat low, fry the eggs until the ouer skin changes the color just enough.Take the eggs out and keep it aside.We will put these fried eggs at the end.
Now in the same pan (put the heat on medium high now), splutter mustard seeds.Add curry leaves, green chillies and the sliced onions.Saute them until onions are soft enough.Now add the chopped ginger and garlic.Saute this well until onions are almost carmalized.Takes about 15 minutes or so.Now add the masala paste and saute until raw smell is gone.Once nice aroma comes add 1/4 cup(or more) of water and salt and let this mix boil for another 5 minutes.Add the diluted coconut milk at this point and let the gravy boil well.Once the gravy gets appropriate consistency, add the fried eggs and let it boil for 4-5 minutes on medium low heat.Serve hot with Rice/Roti.
Note : I like to make this curry a little early than expected dinner time, to allow the gravy seep into the egg through the slits made.YUM.

3 comments:

Misty said...

I also consider curry one of my comfort foods. And like you, I tend to make it spicier when I make some. I usually add more of turmeric/curcumin powder. :)

Priya Suresh said...

Believe me, my mouth is just watering here, irresistible dish.

Pritha said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.