Thursday, February 01, 2007

Beet chappathi n' more

I usually add different flavours to plain chappthis just to make my lil one eat it.This is one of them.He likes this because of the color.

Ingredients

Atta/Wheat flour - 1 and 1/2 cups
Beet root - 2tbsp(grated)
Jeera - 1 and 1/2tsp
Garlic - 1 pod(optional)
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1tsp
Salt - as needed
Oil - 2tsp
Warm water - as needed.

Method

In pan, heat oil and fry jeera,chopped garlic.Then add grated beet root and saute for 2 min.s.Add chilli and garam masala powder and fry till it's cooked.In a bowl, add this beet mixture,wheat flour,salt and warm water and mix well into a chappathi dough.Let it rest for about 30 min.s and make equal sized balls out of this dough.Rooll each into chappathis and cook them in a hot tawa.I served this colorful beet chappathi with Gobi subzi.





Few days ago, i had tried Seema of Recipe junction's Palak paneer.It was a huge hit with family n' friends.My son was licking his fingers for the last drop of palak.(he rarely does that :))).The only change i made to her recipe was, i grinded the sauted spinach for the smooth texture.I stongly recommend her delicious recipe to all of you to try.Thanks Seema for sharing.






Below is the picture of french toast made out of Challah.





Tips: Using warm water for making chappthi dough makes chappthi softer.Again letting the dough rest for 30 minutes or so helps also.

14 comments:

FH said...

YAY!! Made it this time,I am first!!:))My blog roll is slow,shows after 8hrs usually!
Beet Chapati is yummy.I love beets,I will try this.Paneer looks good too.
Enjoy the Super Bowl.I don't know wether you announced the new fruit,I will check now.

swapna susarla said...

wow beet chapthi is beating everything..lovely recipe maheswari.thanks for sharing..fc

Anonymous said...

LOVE the color of the chappati! No wonder your little one ate it up! And the palak panner looks really yum too.

Manjula said...

very innovative beetroot chapathi there..Bright red..wow

Sia said...

i too love adding veggies to chapati atta, makes it more colourful and interesting. ur beet chappathi looks so yum... how did u manage to get that red colour?

Sia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey Mahi
Ur beet chapati looks scrumptious. I will try this next time. I usually make curry/chutney with beets.

Bong Mom said...

this looks really nice, great idea too, thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog..
Beet chappati sounds great.. Very dramatic colour.. :-)

J said...

Hi, had heard of beet puris, but chapatis is also a good idea!! Nice one!

Lakshmik said...

Liked all your recipes. Yes, Seema's Palak Paneer is on my list too.

Mishmash ! said...

Helloooo, u re very clever:)What a brilliant idea to fill ur lil one's tummy !!!! I ve heard of adding methi leaves and spinach to chappathi's but this one was new to me :) I am sure it tastes good too.

Btw, is there a short name to call u ? something like Maha or mahe ?;)

Shn

Anonymous said...

Was looking for new ways to beat the beet in my fridge

I am in love with that colour :)

Deepa Kuber said...

loved ur palak paneer, malli masala and hotel sambhar..they are too yummy!