Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Varutthuaraccha chicken curry

Varuthuaracha chicken curry, chicken in fried coconut gravy.I made my Lil' one Ram who is almost 3 years to help me on this dish for TRS's Little chefs in the kitchen .Oh..boy..was that fun?..fun or more work for me clean up after his help.He usually likes to sit on the counter top while i am cooking.He likes to point out on things around the kitchen and ask "amma whatz that?".He will keep on asking until he is tired or i am getting restless...:)).This time i asked him to separate pods from garlic,oh..boy ..he was so excited.and again, i was worried 'coz he had just made a mess on the coffee table with water.My H was asking are you sure you wanna do this ?..hahaha.By this time R had started his job.I was telling him to pose his hands for the snaps also again n' again while he was busy helping me.R finally got frustrated and threw all the garlic pods on the table and filled the bowl with his cereal and start eating it.Anyways did a good job on garlic...:)).Thanks to TRS for intiating such a good blog event, may be by next time R will be more helpful than this.

Varuaraccha chicken curry

Ingredients

Chicken - 1 cornish hen (cut into medium pieces)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
Chilli powder- 1tsp
Dania powder - 1tsp
Turmeric powder - 1tsp
Onion - 1 medium sized (chopped)
Tomatoes - 1 large (chopped)
Green chillies - 2
Garam masala - 1/2tsp
Coconut- 3tbsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2tsp
Curry leaves - as needed.
Oil - as needed
Salt - as needed


Method

Fry coconut and fennel seeds in 1 tsp of oil till golden brown and grind it into a fine paste.In a pressure cooker, heat oil and fry onions till golden brown.Now add green chillies,gg paste and tomatoes one by one and fry well.Then add all the powders and fry till the raw smell goes.Finally add chicken and salt and mix well.Add just enough water(i had added 1/2 cup) and cook it for 1 whistle.Switch off the heat.Once the pressure is gone, open the cooker.Add the grinded coconut paste and let boil on medium heat till nice aroma comes.serve hot with rice,roti.







Tips : If you could, do avoid adding water while cooking chicken.Chicken tastes much better if you allow it to cook on its own water.while cooking in a pressure cooker, just add lilttle bit of water to avoid buring.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute. Little hands peeling garlic.
The color of the chicken curry looks delicious!

Nidhi said...

Hey Maheswari, So good to see the picture of those little hand helping you around in the kitchen. As gini said, its really cute.

Your recipe for Chicken Curry is nice and the tip is wonderful as well. Whenever, I'll make chicken again, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks, Nidhi.

Shah cooks said...

what a cutie. how old is ur daughter? nice recipe!

Manjula said...

Hi Maheshwari,
Cute lil hands there..Your chicken curry looks very appetizing.

Unknown said...

Thanks gini,nidhi,shaheen and manjula..

shaheen...he is my son and he is 2 years and 9 monthes.

Pooja said...

Hi maheshawari,
though we dont eat non-veg. I liked to read your experiment with your kid. its fun reading it.
-Pooja

FH said...

Very cute hands!!:)) Atleast he was willing to help!Dish looks wonderful.I am saving this too!:))
My son older,he made Waffles all by himself and it's in Aroma!:))
It is fun ,isn't it?

USHA said...

Hi Maheswari,
It was fun reading your post regarding your kid's help..hahaha!!!
Inbetween receipe looks awesome...

Mishmash ! said...

Hi Maheswari,
First let me tell u how excited I was to receive a comment from a Senior blogger like u...It means a lot for amateurs like me. I really wish ur son likes my dish,so u will come back again for more recipes :)U may reduce the pepper content for ur son, I know I need not tell u that :)

This was my first visit to ur blog and I was really shocked to see the number of blogs rolling in ur name!!! I'm going to try ur Porotta for sure, that was quite a helpful presentation.

Well, that Chenile scraf u knitted, uh...uh..it suits my new sweater ;)

Shn

Bong Mom said...

awwww that's cute, his little hands peeling garlic. But Maheshwari, you gave him a difficult job to start off with. Peeling garlic is not that easy and good he didn't complain about the smell :)

Lots of hugs for the kiddo and the curry looks delicious

TNL said...

Great Job Ram...! How nice of him to be so helpful...I don't eat meat but it looks wonderful.

Cheers,Trupti

Unknown said...

Thank you all..he was not peeling garlic, i just asked him to take out the pods one by one from the whole garlic..:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Maheshwari,

I tried this chicken recipe & it came out well.You have a great collection of recipes(esp.chicken)

Thanks & Regards,
Kate.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kate...

Dori said...

I tried it and it was awesome, and very easy! I will definitely be making this again!!!